Focus on Youth
News for OCES staff working with youth.
4-H is a community of young people across America learning leadership, citizenship and life skills.
Dear Educators and Volunteers,
Giving is an important part of life. At least it should be. It doesn't matter your beliefs or your religion, giving is crucial to having healthy finances. Give and you shall receive is most definitely true, but giving is much more than receiving. When you discover that giving is better than receiving, you're well on your way to truly living a life of purpose and worth.
- You can give without loving, but you can never love without giving. -Robert Louis Stevenson
- Remember that the happiest people are not those getting more, but those giving more. -H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
- Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love. -Lao Tzu
- As we give presents, we need to recognize that sharing our time and ourselves is such an important part of giving. -Gordon B. Hinckley
- It's not how much we give but how much love we put into giving. -Mother Teresa
- No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another. -Charles Dickens
- We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give. -Winston S. Churchill
- No one has ever become poor by giving. -Anne Frank
- Let us not be satisfied with just giving money. Money is not enough, money can be got, but they need your hearts to love them. So, spread your love everywhere you go. -Mother Teresa
- When you give up yourself, that's when you will feel the true spirit of the holidays. And that's giving that's serving others, and that's when you feel fulfilled. -Joel Osteen
- I love everything about the holidays: the decorations, the parties, and spending time with friends and family. What I love most is that feeling of giving back. Every bit counts. -Brad Goreski
- You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. -Khalil Gibran
- The only gift I have to give, is the ability to receive. If giving is a gift, and it surely is, then my gift to you is to allow you to give to me. -Jarod Kintz
- Presents are made for the pleasure of who gives them, not the merits of who receives them. -Carlos Ruiz Zafon
- Give, but give until it hurts. -Mother Teresa
- I slept and I dreamed that life is all joy. I woke and I saw that life is all service. I served and I saw that service is joy. -Khalil Gibran
- Good works is giving to the poor and the helpless, but divine works is showing them their worth to the One who matters. -Criss Jami
- Love only grows by sharing. You can only have more for yourself by giving it away to others. -Brian Tracy
- I know what I have given you... I do not know what you have received. -Antonio Porchia
- One must be poor to know the luxury of giving. -George Eliot
- Don't wait for other people to be loving, giving, compassionate, grateful, forgiving, generous, or friendly... lead the way! -Steve Maraboli
- It's bad enough in life to do without something YOU want; but confound it, what gets my goat is not being able to give somebody something you want THEM to have. -Truman Capote
- When it comes to giving, some people stop at nothing. -Vernon McLellan
- The manner of giving is worth more than the gift. -Pierre Corneill
To every educator, volunteer, parent, support staff professional and 4-H member, we say "Thank You" for the commitment and dedication you GIVE to Oklahoma 4-H!
State 4-H Program Leader & Assistant Director, OCES
Last year the Roundup Communication Event incorporated two additional categories of communication - Photography and Graphic Arts. The classes were taken directly from the Fair Book in an effort to assist youth in developing projects which can later be exhibited at the fair. The 2016 guidelines, resources and a score sheets are posted on the Roundup website. When possible incorporate these categories into county contests.
- Photography is a means of self-expression and creativity through the lenses of a camera. Exhibitors will illustrate and communicate their mastery of photographic equipment, techniques, composition (elements and principles of art), lighting, storytelling, photo-editing and processing through four photos.
- Graphic Design is creating visual and written content, by hand or using computer software, to communicate ideas that inspire, inform, or captivate consumers. The designer develops the overall layout and production design for advertisements, brochures, magazines, reports, digital billboards, webpages and even electronic/digital games. The product's purpose may be commercial, educational, cultural or political. http://www.aiga.org/guide-whatisgraphicdesign/
The exhibitors at Roundup will meet with the judge to discuss the photos/graphic art, share the creative experience and knowledge learned. This is referred to as “interview” judging. To learn more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s594NX48p1s.
Citizenship Washington Focus
Registration materials will soon be posted to the State 4-H website for the 2016 Oklahoma CWF Trip!
Citizenship Washington Focus is a 4-H leadership program for high school youth. For six weeks of the summer, delegations of 15-19 year-olds from across the country attend this program at the National 4-H Youth Conference Center, located just outside Washington, D.C. The program is aimed at enriching young people's lives by broadening their appreciation and respect for themselves and others in the world. Participants attend workshops, committees, field trips and social events for hands-on opportunities to learn and grow. Participants learn and practice skills that will make them better citizens and more successful individuals
Oklahoma will attend CWF June 16-26, 2016. The trip will also include visiting the St. Louis Arch, Gettysburg and Philadelphia. Youth ages 15 and older are eligible to attend. For more information, please visit the state 4-H website at http://4h.okstate.edu/events-and-activities/national-events/citizenship-washington-focus-2/citizenship-washington-focus or call Tracy Beck at 405-744-8891.
Registration materials and payment will be due in the State 4-H Office February 26, 2016.
This workshop is intended for exhibitors, managers, and volunteers involved with 4-H and Open Horse shows. The workshop is 9am to 4pm December 12 at the Totusek Arena. Free and open to all ages, but registration is requested. More information here.
Horses, Heifers and Hounds is a workshop for volunteers in the animal science programs. The workshop will take place 9am to 5 pm, January 23, 2016, on the OSU campus.
This interactive and hands-on workshop is designed for 4-H and youth educators that are involved in equine, companion animal or livestock projects. The seminar will cover fostering leadership and community service activities, fund-raising strategies, handling interpersonal conflicts, ethics with youth and animal projects, and laboratories in behavior modification and learning theory for all species. Break-out sessions with hands on opportunities for individual species will be available as well.
- State Horse Communication contest, February 6, 2016,ANSI building. All registration materials are on-line.
- Youth Horse Judging Clinic, February 13th, 2015 at Totusek arena.
November 11-13, 2016 a multi-state conference will be held at the State 4-H Center in Little Rock, Arkansas.
This event is for 4-H volunteers, parents and Extension educators wanting to learn fun, creative, innovative and effective best practices in working with today's youth and families. It is also a great event to network with adults interested in growing youth, volunteers and the 4-H program. Sessions will be taught by experienced volunteers and Extension staff. Approximate Cost is $185 and includes meals, housing and programming.
Please consider sending a team, a volunteer as a form of recognition, or participating for professional development/continuing education.
2016 State Parent-Volunteer Conference
June 25, 2016, Stillwater OK
4-H Salute to Excellence Program
The State Volunteer Board encourages every county in honoring and recognizing the efforts of their volunteers. Each county may submit one nominee for each of the two awards:
- Volunteer of the Year (less than 10 years of experience)
- Lifetime Volunteer Awards (an accumulation of 10 or more years of experience).
County nominee(s) will be recognized at the state awards luncheon on June 25, 2016, as part of the State Parent-Volunteer Development conference.
The application form and guidelines for 2016 District and State volunteer awards is available at http://4h.okstate.edu/for-youth/awards/2014-ok-volunteer-salute-to-excellence-awards-form.
CHANGE - The resume is no longer built by the volunteer but by the county educator. This was a national change. All other aspects of the awards process are the same.
Electronic nominations are due to the District 4-H Office no later than 5:00 PM on or before March 14, 2016- Nomination includes volunteer resume, 3 letters of recommendations and an electronic photograph.
All due dates listed in this publication are the dates that county staff are to have items in the state 4-H office or other designated location. Each county will establish due dates prior to the dates posted here. These dates are set to accommodate things like screening of applications, processing payments, and adequate mailing time. All forms should be submitted through your county Extension office unless otherwise indicated. Forms that require an Extension Educator's signature may not be processed if mailed directly.